I have been baking my own bread for months. I have discovered that homemade organic tortillas taste so much better than store bought, without the nasty ingredients.
These are actually accidental tortillas because I messed up the recipe I was following and they came out so much better! I will save you the big long life story and just get to the recipe. My biggest pet peeve is when people drone on and on and I have to scroll. Happy tortilla making!
- 3 cups organic all purpose einkorn flour
- 3 cups organic all purpose flour (you can use all AP flour)
- 2 Tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon Redmond Real Salt (or whatever pink salt you have)
- 8 tablespoons melted organic coconut oil
- 2 cups filtered warm water
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixer with the dough hook.
- Add coconut oil and water and mix until well combined.
- Knead for a few minutes until a smooth dough is formed. It should be slightly sticky but not sticking to the sides of the bowl. (I had to add about 4 tablespoons additional flour to get the right consistency)
- Allow to rest for about 10-15 minutes
- Roll into about 20 balls.
- Heat your cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Dust your counter with flour and roll out into a thin round
- Melt avocado oil, coconut oil, ghee or tallow in your pan. Make sure the pan stays hot but not too high.
- Fry on one side until puffy and flip to the other side and cook for about 20 seconds.
- I always add a little cooking fat in between tortillas and I have two rolled out so the cooking part goes as quickly as possible.
- Allow to cool before storing or freezing for later. It helps to put a peice of parchment in between each tortilla when stroring or feezing.